A Egyptologist and broadcaster from Carshalton has helped people across the globe stay entertained during lockdown.

Dr Chris Naunton has been praised for hosting a series of online Egyptology lectures in the pandemic.

Dr Naunton started holding the lectures in April after being invited to host one by the Egypt Exploration Society (EES).

The EES was set up in 1882 by world-renowned Egyptologist Amelia Edwards to preserve the country's historic sites and monuments.

Since then, the 42-year-old has hosted virtual lectures on a wide range of subjects ranging from Imhotep – the architect of the first ever pyramid famously brought to life in the 1932 film The Mummy, Tutankhamun and Alexander the Great.

Your Local                    Guardian:

Speaking to Sutton Guardian, Dr Naunton said: "My first talk sold out the 100 available places very quickly, so we put on another one and that sold out too.

"I knew this was going to be something I would want to keep doing!

"Lockdown has affected everyone, including me, but I was lucky that I'd finished the research for my latest book the Christmas before."

Dr Naunton's lectures has attracted participants from over 40 countries

"It's been very humbling to know that there is so much enthusiasm in so many places," he said.

"I've been giving lectures regularly for most of the last twenty years but never remotely until this year.

"It's been wonderful to hear from so many people for whom this new way of doing things has given them access to talks that they could never have attended.

"I would never have expected this but I feel a really lovely, warm and friendly sense of community around the lectures."

Lecture attendee Kelly Evans commented: "The lectures have been great - not only did they help me rediscover my love of ancient Egyptian history but they gave me something to look forward to during lockdown."

To attend Dr Naunton's next lecture visit at https://chrisnaunton.com/online-lectures/