Search This Blog

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Tanis - The Ancient Egyptian Capital - HeritageDaily - Archaeology News


https://www.heritagedaily.com/2020/07/tanis-the-ancient-egyptian-capital/134107

Tanis – The Ancient Egyptian Capital

Tanis is an archaeological site and ancient Egyptian city on the Tanitic branch of the Nile River delta near the modern-day town of Ṣān al-Ḥajar al-Qibliyyah.

Tanis was built as the capital of the 14th nome of Lower Egypt, with the earliest Tanite buildings dating from the 21st Dynasty, the first Dynasty of the Third Intermediate Period, lasting from 1069 BC to 945 BC.

Many of the materials used to construct the city were repurposed masonry and stone from nearby population centres such as the former capital of Pi-Ramesses (Per Ramessu). Pi-Ramesses was built by the Nineteenth Dynasty Pharaoh Ramesses II (1279–1213 BC) at Qantir, near the old site of Avaris. The city was abandoned when the Pelusiac branch of the Nile began to silt up in 1060 BC and its harbour consequently becoming unusable.

Image Credit : Brigitte Djajasasmita

The Twenty-first Dynasty Pharaohs dismantled Pi-Ramesses and transported the Ramesside temples, obelisks, stelae, statues and thousands of blocks of stone masonry 100 km north-west of Pi-Ramesses to their new capital at Tanis.

When archaeologists first discovered Tanis, the large number of monuments bearing the cartouches of Ramesses II led them to believe that Tanis and Pi-Ramesses were, in fact, the same. It wasn't until the rediscovery of Pi-Ramesses (Qantir) and Avaris (Tell el-Dab'a) that archaeologists were able to correctly identify Tanis and reveal the monumental task of transporting the materials from one city to another over such a vast distance.

Excavations have determined that Tanis was organised into distinct districts, with the most notable being a temple district encircled by a large brick wall. The temple district centres around the Great Temple of Amun, and also contains the Temple of Khonsu-Neferhotep, a royal necropolis (which contains three pharaohs of the 21st and 22nd Dynasties — Psusennes I, Amenemope and Shoshenq II), and a sacred lake.

Image Credit : Brigitte Djajasasmita

Large areas of the wider city area are yet to be excavated, but south of the temple district is a large residential area, the Temple of Amenemopet, the Temple of Mut and Khonsu and a non-elite cemetery.

Tanis lost its status of royal residence and begun to decline under the reign of Shabaka (also called Sabacon), the Kushite founder of the 25th dynasty who shifted the Royal capital to Memphis.


Download the HeritageDaily mobile application on iOS and Android

--   Sent from my Linux system.

2 comments:

  1. Hello everyone,
    My name is Mrs Shinta Angga, I live in Sihanoukville here in Cambodia and i am a happy woman today and i've decided to share my testimony here, i was in need of a loan to carry out a construction project and a friend introduced me to GANNETT INTERNATIONAL FINANCE LLP indeed they delivered as they promised, And not only did i complete the project i also had the advantage of an incredible opportunity to relocate and expand my business, at a pivotal time. The support I received from "Gannett International Finance LLP" staff was priceless." - Nancy Bosben,
    If you are in need of a loan or financing, don’t hesitate to contact them through
    WhatsApp: +447449373835 or
    E-mail: - loans@gannettfinancellp.com
    "Thank you (Gannett International Finance LLP) for having faith in us to get us started!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Real testimony and Good news !!!

    My name is mohammad, I just received my loan and it has been transferred to my bank account, a few days ago I applied to Dangote Loan Company through Lady Jane (Ladyjanealice@gmail.com), I asked Lady jane about the Dangote Loan Company's requirements and Jane told me that if I had all the terms my loan would be transferred to me without delay

    And believe me now as my Rp11bn loan with 2% interest rate for my Coal Mining business has just been approved and transferred to my account this is a dream to come, I promise Lady jane that I will tell the world if this is true? and I'm going to tell the world right now because it's true

    You don't have to pay registration fees, license fees, comply with the Dangote Loan Company and you will get your loan

    for more details contact me via email: mahammadismali234@gmail.com and contact the Dangote Loan Company for your loan now via email Dangotegrouploandepartment@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete