Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Report from the field: week 1 in Abydos | In the Artifact Lab


http://www.penn.museum/sites/artifactlab/2016/01/09/report-from-the-field-week-1-in-abydos/

Report from the field: week 1 in Abydos

I have been working for the last 2 weeks in Egypt as the field conservator for the Penn excavations in South Abydos (led by Dr. Josef Wegner). I am here primarily to work on the painted decoration in the burial chamber of King Senebkay. It has been a fantastic experience so far, but our remote location, busy work schedule, and intermittent wifi connection has made it challenging to provide real-time updates. There has been so much going on, so instead of writing one long post, I’m going to break it up a bit and start out by posting some photos from my first week in the field. I’ll follow up with more pictures and information soon, but for the moment, enjoy the photos!

Sunrise on site

First tea of the morning (quickly followed by more and more tea)

View of the site, with King Senebkay’s burial chamber in the foreground covered with a temporary shelter

Egyptian conservation inspector working in King Senebkay’s burial chamber

Some of my conservation supplies for the day

Site bathroom (so fancy! brought out just for me, the only woman working on site)

Dr. Kevin Cahail standing inside a recently-excavated building

A view from inside the dighouse

Kevin working in the pottery yard at the dighouse

More soon, I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment